Thursday 30 August 2012

Detangling your hair be you natural, relaxed or texlaxed.


Oil Lovers

One of the most annoying yet important practices in healthy hair care is the detangling process. When I was relaxed, I ensured I took my time and always started combing from my ends upwards slowly. This was a must. This has not changed now that I am natural.

If you are having issues detangling your hair or you find it takes too much time, you must try Oil Rinsing.






What is Oil Rinsing and what are the benefits?

It is simply rinsing your hair with oil after the shampoo/ cowash process to soften up the hair and allow for easy detangling.

Oil rinsing is better than doing a regular hot oil treatment as the shampooing process is done before oil is applied thus preserving any loss oil natural oils while shampooing. Step 5 is done so that you do not have too much oil left on the strands.


How to Oil Rinse:

Step 1 : Wash with water, wet your hair and then shampoo.
Step 2: Rinse your hair 
Step 3: "Oil Rinse" your hair with your oil of choice 
Step 4: Rinse with warm water
Step 5: Apply conditioner
Step 6: Rinse well
Final step: Apply leave in conditioner or cream. 

At the last stage I do the L.O.C method. Liquid Oil Cream. I will do a post on this soon on how that has worked for me so stay tuned for that. 

Here is a YouTube video by Nappy Chronicles showing how to Oil Rinse.




I do mine in the shower in sections of four. If you hair is thicker and longer you can try it in six sections. TWA's etc this should be a breeze. If you relaxed or texlaxed follow the same rules.


WARNING! AS OILS CAN BE SLIPPERY IN THE BATH OR SHOWER TAKE EXTRA CARE. I have never slipped once because I am very careful and use my applicator bottle.


What oils to use: Emollient Oils



I have a large oil stash and switch up the emollient oils that I use. My three favourites are Castor oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) and Avocado oil. I use this in moderate amounts so it is not too greasy.


You will see that with finger detangling or using your comb if you prefer that, it is much easier to detangle.I have been doing this for over a year and I cannot go back. My hair loves it.

I have cut my detangling time down to 10-15 mins max if that. I do this with every wash.


What Oils will you try?  Be sure to let me know if you have any questions and how Oil Rinsing has helped you.


Stay beautifully and naturally made. 

Dee x

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dee, hope you are fine. Haven't heard from you in a while.

    Anyways I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award because of your help at the beginning of my hair journey. Please check out my blog for details at www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete