Wednesday 31 October 2012

Winter Healthy Hair Care




It is time for a change in my hair care regimen as it is seriously cold outside. I was unfortunate enough to be caught in the snow early Saturday morning last week. :( There and then I knew I could not prolong my protective styling.

Around the time that it becomes increasingly colder for me, an increase in moisture, yet maintaining a balance of protein is necessary. I achieve this by steam treatments. Now I only got a steamer this year so if you do not own a steamer yet, don't fret. So why the steamer then? Well it came with a facial steamer too, but mostly because I love the increased steam and moisture going into my hair. I used my trusty carrier bag and hand dryer method for 3 yrs and it worked well for my hair. I apply the direct heat over the bag and move it round in a circular motion for 30 mins. Instant steam treatment and a saving of £20 per "salon steam treatment". 

  • Moisturise and seal (M&S)- Have a spritz to hand even if it is just water (purified is better). You can also use your moisturiser (water based). Do this more often and with a heavier butter. I have Qhemet Biologics  Amla Olive Heavy Cream which is really thick and this is great for sealing in the moisture. I can also use my Shea Butter mix too. As I do the L.O.C method, I will only put a small coin size amount of coconut oil no more than that. 
                                


  • Oil rinsing - I do this all year round but it is really great to do this most especially when you are in the colder months. Find out more about oil rinsing here Oil Rinsing.
  • Drink more water so you are hydrated.
  • Detangle well and gently- Your hair is prone to more breakage around this time. So as always treat your hair like silk and be gentle. 
  • Deep condition weekly- This is a must for me and my D.C always contains organic castor oil and if I have Jamaican Black Castor oil to hand I will add that. 
  • Baggy- (When you apply a moisturiser to your hair for a long period of time. This traps the heat and provides added moisture). I do this to my hair at night time to keep it moisturised. I simply use a plastic carrier bag that is plain (Ones with ink tend to run and stain pillows-found out the hard way early on). If you do not want to baggy your whole head, you can always baggy your ends alone about an inch or two up.
  • I finally purchased some trimming scissors, twisted my hair and trimmed it. Best thing ever. Trimming and dusting is a must for me now. I will be dusting to minimise split ends, single strand knots/fairy knots every two months.
  • Wear your hair in a protective style ensuring that your ends are tucked away. No point having braids/flat-twists/cornrows with your own hair and it is exposed. Bunning is good and you can always wear the bun in different styles. I use faux buns and you can baggy your hair underneath. I get bored of hair styles easily so the same bun in the same position is not going to work for me. Plus it is good to alternate where you have your bun, so you lessen the chances of thinning in the area. 
-My go to protective styles are wigs (as shown below). I will be going towards more kinky curly wigs. (I can take this off when I am home and I have full access to my scalp), twists or braids with extensions via the Crown and Glory method (my adapted version). This winter I will be "hiding my hair". I enjoyed the summer by having my hair out more and I tried various styles. I also took liberties ( not braiding my hair at night and not always M & S'ing my hair) :( yeah I will not be doing that again. I went back on track. 


  

  • If you choose not to protective style but would rather have your hair out instead. Do take extra care and ensure your hair is not rubbing up against any wool/tweed garments etc.
  • Coconut oil in DC as it freezes up in your hair. I learnt this the hard way. If you must use it mix it with castor oil or extra virgin olive oil and use as a small amount no bigger than your nails. 
  • L.O.C method : Liquid Oil Cream this works well for my hair just as the kimmaytube original leave in method did also. I use filtered water with Aloe Vera Juice by Lily of the Desert Whole leaf, Castor and coconut oil, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Leave in/Giovanni Direct Leave in/BeUnique Hair care Moisture Custard. 
  • Air Humidifier - This keeps the moisture in the air If you have the central heating on for a long time this can wreak havoc on your hair too. Drying out your hair and drawing out moisture. I f you cannot get a humidifier you can also get a bowl of hot water underneath or near your heater to but the moisture back into your room. This can be put in a different area of the room but please be careful as it is hot water. I have found it helped to help my throat too with any dust etc. 




Take extra care of your hair during the colder months and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask. 

How are you taking care of your hair?

Stay beautifully and naturally made. 

Dee x

4 comments:

  1. Really nice and very informative post i really like this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post I am glad you liked it. Your username my favourite oil ever!!

      Delete
  2. Your post is very insightful and thorough. Your winter hair regimen sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Wura. Thank you so much for your nomination btw. Please forgive me I keep forgetting. :( I hope you are okay? xx

      Delete